I once dated a lady who owned 112 pairs of shoes. Her walk-in closet was custom made with ceiling to floor slanted shelves on all four walls.
Suzanne Ferriss, PhD, editor of the book Footnotes: On Shoes, provides fascinating reason for women’s shoe addiction: “Shoes are a collector’s item, whether women realize they perceive them that way or not,” she says, and buying them triggers an area of the brain’s prefrontal cortex called the collecting spot.
My favorite shoe quote is from a sign hanging on the wall of Stacy’s Barbara Shop in the 1960’s. As a kid, I laughed each time I read it: “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Carrie Bradshaw’s infamous shoe collection is estimated to cost more than $40,000. But all those shoes don’t add up to Dorthy’s ruby red shoes from the Wizard of Oz.The originals sold for $660,000 in 2000, making them the most expensive shoes in history. Later the Ruby Slippers from House of Harry Winston: sold for $3,000,000. The beauty of design comes from 4,600 rubies of 1,350 carats.
Now get this. Dreams experts claim that dreaming about shoes can signify whether you’re feeling well-grounded, or may indicate your level of self-esteem. If you are wearing tight Shoes, the road you are traveling is hard, and much sorrow is involved. Comfortable Shoes indicate you are in a good place in your life and success is around the corner. Buying Shoes indicates you still have quite a distance to travel until you reach your goals. Dirty, worn-down Shoes encourage us to examine our spiritual walk, or ask us to take a walk of faith.
While cleaning out and organizing today, I discovered I’m the proud owner of six pairs of shoes. Two of these pairs I haven’t seen or worn in several years. Maybe tomorrow I will toss or donate them. Here is some shoe trivia:
- U.S. women own an average of 19 pairs of shoes. 15 percent have over 30 pairs.
- According to Glamour, the average woman will buy 469 pairs of shoes in her lifetime. All in all, she will end up spending $25,000 on shoes. (This is hard for me to believe. What do you think?)
- 17 percent of women think ugly shoes are a reason to break up with a man.
- High-heels accentuate the butt by 25 percent.
- In the late 1800s, people started using the word sneakers because the rubber sole allowed you to “sneak” around without making a sound.
- For centuries, heels signified a high social standing rather than gender. It was also crucial for men riding horses to have a heel on their boot in order to stay in their stirrups.
- The word “stiletto” originally meant “little dagger.”
- The first lady’s boot was created for Queen Victoria in 1840.
- Imelda Marcos, of the Philippines, had 3,400 shoes when she died.
- The boots Neil Armstrong walked on the moon in are still floating around in space.