How many shoes do you have?
Shoe trivia you never knew
Once upon a time, I dated a lady who owned 112 pairs of shoes. Her walk-in closet was custom made with ceiling to floor slanted shelves on all four walls. To some readers, this may be normal, but to me it was extraordinary.
“Shoes are a collector’s item, whether women realize they perceive them that way or not,” says Suzanne Ferris, PhD and editor of the book Footnotes: On Shoes. The book reveals that buying shoes triggers an area of the brain’s prefrontal cortex called the collecting spot.
My favorite shoe quote is from a sign hanging on the wall of Stacy’s Barber Shop, on the south side of San Antonio, back in the 1960’s. As a kid, I laughed each time I read it: “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Carrie Bradshaw’s infamous shoe collection is estimated to cost more than $40,000. But all those shoes don’t add up to Dorthy’s ruby red shoes from the Wizard of Oz.The originals sold for $660,000 in 2000, making them the most expensive shoes in history. Later the Ruby Slippers from House of Harry Winston: sold for $3,000,000. The beauty of design comes from 4,600 rubies of 1,350 carats.
Dreaming about shoes?
Experts claim that dreaming about shoes can signify whether you’re feeling well-grounded, or may indicate your level of self-esteem. If you are wearing tight shoes, the road you are traveling is hard, and much sorrow is involved.
Comfortable shoes indicate you are in a good place in your life and success is around the corner.
Buying shoes indicates you still have quite a distance to travel until you reach your goals.
Dirty, worn-down shoes encourage us to examine our spiritual walk, or ask us to take a walk of faith.
- U.S. women own an average of 19 pairs of shoes. 15 percent have over 30 pairs.
- According to Glamour, the average woman will buy 469 pairs of shoes in her lifetime. All in all, she will end up spending $25,000 on shoes. (This is hard for me to believe. What do you think?)
- 17 percent of women think ugly shoes are a reason to break up with a man.
- High-heels accentuate the butt by 25 percent.
- In the late 1800s, people started using the word sneakers because the rubber sole allowed you to “sneak” around without making a sound.
- For centuries, heels signified a high social standing rather than gender. It was also crucial for men riding horses to have a heel on their boot in order to stay in their stirrups.
- The word “stiletto” originally meant “little dagger.”
- The first lady’s boot was created for Queen Victoria in 1840.
- Imelda Marcos, of the Philippines, had 3,400 shoes when she died.
- The boots Neil Armstrong walked on the moon in are still floating around in space.